Full ingredients list:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes, no added salt
- 2 cups salt-reduced vegetable stock (or chicken stock) and 1 cup water
- black pepper, to season
- low-fat yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- coriander leaves, to garnish
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and seasoning. Cook for 1 minute.
Step 2 Add chickpeas, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
Step 3 Place half the soup in a blender. Blend until smooth. Return to pan with remaining soup. Place over a medium heat, season with pepper and warm through. Ladle into bowls, top with a dollop of yoghurt (if using) and garnish with coriander.
For extra flavour, add 1 cup of shredded cooked lean chicken when reheating this soup in step 3.
About this recipe
First published: August 2008