Please log in to save or rate.
40 (makes 800g, 1 tablespoon per serve)
Time to make:
1 hr 20 mins (Hands-on time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 1 hr)
$0.20 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 450g courgettes, peeled, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 cups dark cane sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- sprinkling chilli flakes (optional)
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place all ingredients in a large non-stick pan. Heat gently until sugar dissolves.
Step 2 Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered, while stirring, for about 1 hour over a medium heat until thick. Spoon into prepared jars while still hot. Cover and refrigerate.
Keeping time: 2-3 weeks
How to sterilise jars
Unless preserves are stored in sterile jars, the contents can quickly go off. Here's how to prepare your jars for preserving:
- Wash the lids and jars well in very hot, soapy water. Then rinse jars again in very hot water.
- Dry them off in the oven at 170°C for 10-20 minutes while your preserve finishes cooking.
- Pour or ladle the preserve into the jars while both are still hot. Cover immediately then store out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry spot.
About this recipe
First published: February 2011