Please log in to save or rate.
100 (makes 2kg, 1 tablespoon per serve)
Time to make:
1 hr 45 mins (Hands-on time: 15 mins, Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins)
$0.10 per serve
(at time of publication)
Full ingredients list:
- 2 1/4 cups malt vinegar
- 1kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 cloves
- small piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1/2 cups sultanas
- 1 1/2 cups soft brown sugar
Nutritional information (per serve)
Instructions and steps:
Step 1 Place half the vinegar in a large non-stick pan. Add the remaining ingredients and season. Heat pan over a medium heat. Slowly bring mixture to a simmer, stirring continuously, until sugar has dissolved.
Step 2 Simmer for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
Step 3 Stir in the remaining vinegar. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring often or until thickened. If still runny, simmer for 10 more minutes.
Step 4 Spoon into prepared jars while still hot. Serve with your favourite cold meats.
Keeping time: 4 weeks
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free vinegar.
How to sterilise jars
Unless preserves are stored in sterile jars, the contents can quickly go off. Here's how to prepare your jars for preserving:
- Wash the lids and jars well in very hot, soapy water. Then rinse jars again in very hot water.
- Dry them off in the oven at 170°C for 10-20 minutes while your preserve finishes cooking.
- Pour or ladle the preserve into the jars while both are still hot. Cover immediately then store out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry spot.
About this recipe
First published: February 2011